Tips to Prevent:
- Don't leave open fires unattended.
- Keep fires in a secure location.
- Make sure that a smoke alarm is installed on every floor of the building.
- Test smoke alarms monthly and replace batteries every 6 months.
- Have a fire escape plan organized and practice it frequently.
- Include a meeting location with the fire escape plan to know who has made it out of the house.
- Familiarize yourself and other family members of the smoke alarm sound.
Tips During a Fire:
- Try to remain calm as much as possible.
- Remember to follow the escape plan.
- Keep low to the ground or crawl underneath the smoke.
- Use the back of your hand to check for heat on the other side of a door.
- Don't open doors that have smoke coming from the cracks.
- If escape route is blocked try to call for help from a window.
- Don't re-enter a building on fire.
For more information on safety go to: